[Last Updated: October 2016]
Whilst voice recording is still considered a ‘black box’ technology in some areas, in reality the servers will more often than not have a core platform based on an off the shelf operating system.
When integrated into an organisation’s network, consideration must be made as to how these servers will be managed in order to minimise any security or vulnerability threats. If your company has an existing security policy, due diligence must be followed to ensure the recording solution is catered for.
Consultation with your recording service provider should be your first point of call as there may be certain prerequisites that have to be adhered to. Most manufacturers provide a ‘server hardening guide’ which serves as a best practice approach for securing their product. In addition, if your company deploys an automated system for the application of security patches, updates, service packs etc. you will need to ensure that these will not have any adverse effect on the recording solution.
In general, most recording manufacturers will certify security patches shortly after they have been released by vendors like Microsoft. One important point to note. Modern voice recording solutions may employ more than the humble OS as part of their makeup. Products like SQL Server are a common component and care must be taken that items such as this are not overlooked.
Managing your recording solution
When a recording solution is implemented it should have the latest releases and updates installed by your service provider. From this point on, it will need managing. The responsibility for ensuring the recording solution is secure will generally fall on the customer’s shoulders. The rationale being, that most companies already have set security strategies and policies in place to minimise risk and manage any security or vulnerability threats.
At Business Systems we offer a number of services to support our customers in this regard:
- We provide free monthly email notifications when Microsoft security updates have been certified by the recording manufacturer
- We offer a turnkey solution to install security updates and, just as important, carry out a system functionality check afterwards. These can be built into the maintenance contract or ad hoc.
- We can train your staff on how to apply the updates. This is dependent on site configuration and may not be applicable for all customers.
- We offer consultancy services to integrate customers patch management solutions with the recording solution.
When considering the above, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you know what the security risks are? Have you considered the implications?
- Do you have a clear understanding of the servers and the software components that make up your recording solution?
If the answer to any of the above questions is no, your first step should be to contact your recorder service provider. For more advice and information on service & support for your solution browse our webpage >
If you want to find out more about how we can support your call recording technology, feel free to contact us: 0800 458 2988, email@example.com.